This Flourless Lemon Cake recipe is ideal for a day tea or dessert. clean and zesty, this easy lemon cake is naturally gluten loose and is quick to make.
A slice of flourless lemon cake on a white plate with a fork
i really like lemon flavour in some thing. I think it’s likely my favorite flavour in any dessert (or perhaps it’s chocolate or strawberry). Who is aware of! It’s right up there may be all I’m sayin’.
My Flourless Lemon Cake is in reality exploding with bright, zesty lemon flavour. The fact that it’s also gluten-free is a complete coincidence due to the reality that the primary component (aside from lemon), almond meal, is naturally gluten free.
For the cake:
- 1 cup (200g / 7oz) white granulated sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, not packed – (notes)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice – (notes)
- 2 ½ cups (250g / 8.8) almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the icing:
- 1 ¼ cups (163g / 5.7oz) icing (powdered / confectioners) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice – (notes)
- Lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) round springform tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then add the yolks, one at time until fully combined and the mixture looks fluffy. Add the vanilla, zest and juice and beat until incorporated.
- Mix the almond meal, baking powder and salt together then add to the butter and egg mixture in 3 parts, mixing gently between each addition.
- Now, whisk the egg whites until soft peak stage. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the batter and mix through. Add the last 2/3 in 2 parts but just fold through in gentle, measured folds until all combined. Keep the mixing to a minimum to keep as much air in the mix as possible.
- Bake for around 50 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick comes out with just a moist crumb or two.
- Allow to cool for half an hour before removing the springform tin. Transfer to a cake plate and allow to cool completely.
- For the icing: Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar, then pour over the cake. Sprinkle with lemon zest.